A hysterectomy is a surgical practice in which the uterus is removed from the female reproductive system. Hysterectomy is generally performed due to uterine fibroids. Uterine fibroids are the non-cancerous growth of the uterus.
However some other reasons may be:
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding.
- Cervical dysplasia (pre-cancerous conditions of the cervix).
- Endometriosis and uterine prolapse (including pelvic relaxation).
A hysterectomy procedure is also performed to treat the cause of uterine cancer or very critical pre-cancers (called dysplasia, carcinoma in situ, or CIN III, or micro invasive carcinoma of the cervix).
Rajmata Hospital generally suggests and expertise in the following Hysterectomy practice:
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy: This surgery is done using a laparoscope, which is a tube with a lighted camera, and surgical tools inserted through several small cuts made in the belly or, in the case of a single site laparoscopic procedure, one small cut made in the belly button.The surgeon performs the hysterectomy from outside the body, viewing the operation on a video screen.
- Laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy: Using laparoscopic surgical tools, a surgeon removes the uterus through an incision in the vagina.